Sunday, March 4, 2012

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks . . .


. . . this old dog (me!) learned how to crochet!

My goal for the winter was to teach myself how to crochet.  I gave up teaching myself (I'm no good at reading directions.  I'm a hands-on kind of learner) and asked a friend to show me how.

Much easier than knitting!


My hands cramped up and my eyeballs bugged out but I made a couple of doilies and a whole bunch of flowers.  


Notice the loose stitches and the curled up edges.  Not ready to enter anything at the fair quite yet.

But it has given me a whole new appreciation for the oodles of old doilies and crocheted tablecloths that I have collected over the years.

How could I have ever walked away from any of them if they were priced over a couple of dollars?  

They are masterpieces of concentration, time and talent! 


I'm going to try to crochet a bunch of these!

Now, go thank your grandmother for giving you all of her old doilies!  
They are truly a labor of love!


6 comments:

Kmcblackburn said...

I was just in Philly yesterday at the Terminal Marketplace and took tons of photos of some very intricate crocheted doilies. Truly an artform that is getting lost...so glad to see you are picking it up :)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Good for you, Connie! I crochet, but I have never made a doily using that thin thread--don't think my eyes or hands would stand it. My grandmother used to make tablecloths & door panels. It is truly an art!

Carole said...

I can barely pass by old doilies. You sure are a fast learner. I was trying something out yesterday with a crochet hook but I gave up.
x
Carole

Createology said...

Congratulations Connie. What a wonderful art form to learn. I learned to crochet from my dear Grandmother. She was left handed and I am right handed so she had me sit across from her to learn...like looking in a mirror. Brilliant lady. I really enjoy crocheting. Your doilies and flowers are fabulous. Steam block (check your thread first) them and you will be amazed how perfect they will look. Joyful crocheting...

Unknown said...

Crochet flowers are the best! Congrats on learning a new skill.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I went out and bought yarn and hooks and am starting up again...I used to crochet nearly 40 years ago! Those flowers are adorable!